Gibson City is a city in Ford County, Illinois, United States. The population was 3,407 at the 2010 census.
Nicknamed “The Big Little City”
Current Mayor: Daniel Dickey
Gibson City is a thriving city in Ford County, Illinois, United States. The population was approximately 3,407 at the 2010 census. Located at the intersections of IL Routes 9, 47, and 54, Gibson city is an Agricultural industry based community. The current GCMS School District is a consolidation of the surrounding towns of Gibson City, Melvin, and Sibley.
The site of Gibson City was purchased and platted by Jonathan B. Lott in 1869. In 1870, Lott built a home and a post office there, and several stores and a grain elevator were constructed. Lott named the place Gibson after the maiden name of his wife, Margaret Gibson Lott, and City was added later by the post office department. The Gilman, Clinton and Springfield Railroad and the Chicago and Paducah Railroad reached the town in 1871, allowing its population to grow. Gibson City was incorporated as a village in 1872. A third railroad, the Lafayette, Muncie and Bloomington Railroad, was built through Gibson City in 1874. In the same year, one of the railroads signed a contract that paid Augustana College, located in Paxton at the time, a commission of $1 per acre on all railroad land sold to Swedish settlers.
In 1883, a fire in the town caused $50,000 ($1,000,000 in 2007 dollars) in property damage.